CALL US NOW 051 444 6143

What support systems are available in the community for children that leaves home?

Finishing school and entering the adult world can be one of the most stressful phases in a young adult’s life. They are faced with complex challenges such as finding and maintaining employment and housing, managing personal finances and advancing their education. Not to mention, deeply personal obstacles such as developing healthy relationships and maintaining their physical and mental well-being.

These young adults are often no longer under the protection of their parents or any caregiver. It is important that they should be aware of support systems in the community, which can help them.  Communities should also make sure that these systems are in place in order to provide the necessary support to young people.

Independent living programmes are provided by Free State Care in Action. The aim of these programmes is to provide youth, and especially foster children, with an opportunity to gain skills that will enable them to lay a foundation for a successful transition into adulthood. A social worker will be able to link you with such a program.

Youth groups are present in most communities. These are often offered by churches or social services. These groups will assist the young adult to form new relationships and partake in social cohesion while obtaining the necessary life skills needed.

Community-based organisations often provide mentoring programmes. Mentors can offer advice, share life experiences, help a young person navigate challenges and have fun! Mentors also act as an emotional safe haven for young adults where they can get support and understanding.

Young adults often struggle to cope emotionally with the challenges they face. Social workers can provide counseling and therapy to assist them. If necessary the social worker can refer the young person to a psychologist or other professionals.

It is important the young adults should be aware of the support systems that are available in their community. Parents and young people can contact Free State Care in Action on 051-4446143 for information.